Inkundla3
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10843 - 07/18/05 07:18 AM Thabitha Khumalo - truly a woman of steel
umkabayi Offline
Ngqwele

Loc: eNqameni
Zulu nansi indaba ngivumeleni Mthwakazi omuhle ngiphe inhlonipho kumama oliqhawekazi

nangu umama ozimesele ukufa efela iZimbabe entsha. uma Khumalo ngimaze ngisemfitshazanyana
esebenzela eyinye i "parastal" edolobheni lako Bulawayo ubevele engumama esingathi ngolimi lwesingisi "vocal". nangu namuhla usetshengisa umhlaba wonke okwenzakala elizweni lakithi amanxeba akhe yiwo akhulumayo. singazi engxenye it will take another Interamhwe(Rwanda)-like massacre before the world actually sees what is happening in Zimbabwe but for the time being we will rely on people like maKhumalo who right now reminds me of Paul Rusesabagina who in a small act of bravery made a difference in many people's lives.

ngiyakuhlonipha wena ka Khumalo

#10844 - 07/18/05 10:32 PM Re: Thabitha Khumalo - truly a woman of steel
zee Offline
Mafikizolo

Loc: Europe
sitshele thina esisesebafitshane ukuthi ngubani umakhumalo njalo wenzeni. Ngixolele ngemibuzo bengingekho

#10845 - 07/18/05 12:44 PM Re: Thabitha Khumalo - truly a woman of steel
Maqhamehlezi Offline
Nduna

Loc: Emzini wezi-Nkonjane
ngokwazi kwami, okwamanje uNkss Khumalo yi Secretary of the Women's advisory Council of ZCTU.Kusafuneka kuxoxiswane naye udade uThabitha sizwe nemqondo yakhe kwi Shaya FM, kodwa nginethemba nembala-nembala uwu-mama ozimisele kumzabalazo.

#10846 - 07/18/05 12:55 PM Re: Thabitha Khumalo - truly a woman of steel
Mabila Offline
Nkosi

Loc: Ayowa
Thabitha Khumalo - "I am a woman aged 38 years and single. I work for Cold Storage Commission and have worked for 10 years. I come from a family of 2 girls and 2 boys. I am the eldest and sole breadwinner. I have a daughter who is 17 years and doing her lower sixth. I am the National Education Co-ordinator in the Federation of Food Union. Married women do not participate in union activities, they believe unmarried women should be activists, and believe they are prostitutes because they usually talk to men. But in a true working environment married women and single women?s problems are the same. What do you say????? Women come-up when they are issues to be solved. My hobbies are reading, travelling, sewing and meeting people."

Women and Global Food Industry International Study Circle Project october 1999 - march 2000

Female trade unionists assaulted in Zimbabwe

By Lance Guma
12 July 2005

Government attempts to remove the Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Union leadership erupted into a violent attack on two top female union members. Thabitha Khumalo and Phoebe Vhareta, members of the Women's Advisory Council were assaulted during a meeting at the Quality International Hotel in Harare. Twenty hired thugs led by Kumbirai Kudenga burst into the room and demanded Khumalo and Vhareta leave the meeting. The assaults were then carried out.

Khumalo had to be taken to the Avenues Clinic for treatment while Vhareta sustained minor injuries. Although the ZCTU previously secured a court order barring interference with its activities, the order cited only two individuals, Nicholas Mazarura and Langton Mugeji, the ring leaders. So to get around the court order the two are alleged to have recruited the services of Kudenga and a few hired thugs to do the dirty work for them.

ZCTU spokesman, Mlamleli Sibanda says government has failed to mobilise workers against their union and hence is resorting to violence.

Sibanda says outside the unions congress government has no chance of effecting a leadership change and their efforts will prove in vain. The state controlled Herald newspaper has also launched an aggressive campaign to discredit the ZCTU for allegedly abandoning the workers and meddling in politics.

Relations between government and the ZCTU soured when the labour body successfully lobbied the Congress of South African Trade Unions to picket the border in protests at human rights abuses in Zimbabwe. This has precipitated the current onslaught on the ZCTU leadership.

SW Radio Africa Zimbabwe news

#10847 - 07/18/05 02:16 PM Re: Thabitha Khumalo - truly a woman of steel
Gay'gusu Offline
Sakhamuzi

Loc: Emagiswini Esilalatshani
Mthwakazi omuhle,

Ngiyadideka inhliziyeni yami isikhathi esiningi ngokwenzakala eZimbabwe. Ngiya ngicabange ukuthi mhlawumbe lami ngiyazihlupha kodwa ngcono ngiyifake ebandla.

I have a problem with the way we try to resolve the Zimbabwean situation and thus we will find ourselves moving in circles. The failure by uTsvangirai to take over Zimbabwe was as a result of such behavior as this one that is bieng displayed by the wantom praising of this woman. The Zimbabwe syndrome of creating living heroes for a struggle that is yet to be won. This eventually leads to those people feeling that the whole struggle is about them and not about the people and that they infact are the struggle. Tsvangirai is now virtually so full of himslef that dispite his failures no one will touch him or help him with ideas. And if you look at it he is now just another Mugabe waiting to happen.

What pains me the most is that Mugabe himself started this way. He was nothing in the struggle for that country. He was in Ghana making moneyv and then was invited by Ndabaningi Sithole to come and join the struggle. He did not come up until he had problems with Nkwame Nkrume in Ghana. And when he come because he had a car he was assigned a duty in ZAPU as the information assistant, his car would help distribute information.

But within a while he broke off with Sithole to form ZANU. He remained nothing up untillate 1975 when songs of motivation in the struggle were recoined such they had to include his name. Since that time until today Mugabe has become more and more obssessed with himself so much that he has just been getting worse by the day.

UThabitha ngiyamazi, ngiyamhlonipha, ngosibenze laye for long enough but I do not think that we are at a stage were we can be pre-occupied by forming and creating heroes out of victims of Mugabe.

Ngisengu-President we Zimbabwe National Students Union, senza i-policy yokuthi during demonstrations we would not recognise those who were coaght by the police because they would become a tool for the police to demonstrate their brutality and hence dishearten fellow comrades. We celebrated avoiding the police. If it mean risking your for the struggle that was it. Heroes must come from success not failure otherwise it is easy to become a heroe. Just be thrushed by the police once and be a hero for the rest of your life.

I am not impressed by this mainstream thinking, perhaps we need to redifine hero as a word and as a concept.

Lingixolele bafethu, I just don't agree and that's the way it is. Yikho nje ngigay'gusu!!!!!!!!

#10848 - 07/18/05 02:48 PM Re: Thabitha Khumalo - truly a woman of steel
Mabila Offline
Nkosi

Loc: Ayowa
Hatshi uyezwakala Gay'Gusu!

Yini engalungile ngokuncoma isibindi sika MaKhumalo?? Akukho esingakufunda na ngokuzinikela akwenzayo ngempilo yakhe ngokumelana lobunzima buka ****agaxa??

#10849 - 07/18/05 04:02 PM Re: Thabitha Khumalo - truly a woman of steel
Potshoza Offline
Nduna

Loc: Leamington Spa
Gay' Gusu

Utshilo wena ukuthi Umugabe was nothing during the struggle. Ukuthi kungena ngaphi lalo umama okhanya engozisukumelyo wabaluleka kangazi.

Your efforts at trying to persuage people to ignore heroes and heroines are an attempt at Social Engineering. Bekuzakuba ngcono if you had given your reservations based on your knowledge and assessment of Thabitha Khumalo's character and deeds, rather than to unfairly compare her with uMgabe lo Tswangkilayo.

#10850 - 07/18/05 05:28 PM Re: Thabitha Khumalo - truly a woman of steel
umkabayi Offline
Ngqwele

Mthwakazi omhle

ngiyabona abanye lingizwile abanye njalo sekungathi kalingizwisisanga. l am not trying to force her heroic acts on everyone so that wonke umuntu ambone from my point of veiw she has stood up for what she believes and she has suffered for it and still remains standing.

Gayigusu

wena uthi uyi former president of NUST SRC l believe you were also a victim of mugabe's police and state agents you were arrested maybe even beaten once in a while (correct me if lm wrong)and maybe right now you are not in Zimbabwe (again correct me if lm wrong)so they cant touch you anymore.
and l think you should also know baba that she has not been only thrushed once but this time it just happened to make it into international news uma Khumalo has vowed to return to Zimbabe and still face the same brutality she has come to know as part of her and her family's everyday life.

lm not trying to resolve the Zimbabwean situation but lm just giving respect to where its due. it will take more than one physically and emotionally scarred woman to resolve the Zimbabwe situation.

ngiyabonga

#10851 - 07/18/05 05:33 PM Re: Thabitha Khumalo - truly a woman of steel
umkabayi Offline
Ngqwele

Gayigusu

uxolo ngempambaniso ebekhona uthe wawu nguphathintambo we Zimbabwe National Students Union not we NUST uxolo mnumzane.

#10852 - 07/18/05 05:56 PM Re: Thabitha Khumalo - truly a woman of steel
Mbulawa Offline
Ngqwele

Loc: Joburg, SA
For me, as an ordinary mthwakazi ohlala koBulawayo and experiencing the thuggery yezanu first hand, UNkk Thabitha Khumalo ngimtshayela ihlombe. For a woman to stand up like that kungithelela inhloni considering how many man just stood and watched omrambat***** besidilizela izindlu (did I mention ukuthi they destroyed okuyiboyzkhaya kwang'khaya which has been home to a small family for more than 15yrs? )

I encourage ukuthi if anyone knows of more heroes like uMaKhuya bring them up. We need more people who can stand up and make noise. Besides, it gives encouragement and hope for young and aspiring advocates to know of others who're doing it out there. It keeps the spirit alive. Why do u think the Jonathan Moyo closed iDaily News? It's because he knew ukuthi if more heroic acts are publicised, abantu babale-hope yokuthi if we push a little further we can get there. Umuntu who doesnt network ungathi keye "sizalithatha ilizwe" uyakuphendula esithi "ahh uzalithatha uwedwa?" because Jonathan Moyo and Zanu made sure ukuthi people who want to stand up against government should be silenced and not even be talked about. People dont even know ukuthi bakhona abakaMthwakazi abazama ngezabo indlela to force for change. these people should be talked about - so that ngomunye umnyaka sekhetha inkokheli sizakuthi "uMaKhumalo alimazi owayehlupha kuZCTU?"

Ukujoyina kwami this forum has taught me one big lesson - We are our own biggest enemy.

Mark 6:4 - Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country, and among his own relatives, and in his own house." (WEB)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Jakalas 
Shout Box

Advert