Inkundla3
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12212 - 07/07/02 08:13 PM Re: NEPAD G8 Conferance
Bhekuzulu Khumalo Offline
Sikhulu

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sizobona, angathi akayenzi umsebenzi wakhe. You know thesse people. uMbeki kodwa sicabanga ukuthi afuni amanyala, sizobona ngezenzo. Ukuthi amapolitician eAfrica have no idea it is sad to admit it, they blow with the wind, bayathengwa, bayathengisa, as you said, akulamaguidelines, no one knows what to expect.

#12213 - 07/08/02 12:49 AM Re: NEPAD G8 Conferance
Mhlewedwan Offline
Sakhamuzi

Loc: USA
<br> <p> <br> extacted from: South bend Tribune; USA<p><br>July 5, 2002 <p><br>Mugabe's land policy will destroy Zimbabwe<br>EDITORIAL <p>Robert Mugabe, president of Zimbabwe, has sped up implementation of a "fast track" plan to return white-owned farmland to black Zimbabweans, with no compensation to the white farmers, in order to bolster support for his illegitimate rule. And he isn't about to let a little thing like throwing his country into a state of famine stand in the way.<p>President Bush, along with leaders of the European Union and other African nations, must convince Mugabe to back down from his plan. And they must act quickly. The United States should seek help in persuading Mugabe from South Africa President Thabo Mbeki and the 54 members of the Commonwealth of Britain and its former colonies, which includes 19 African nations.<p>The white farmers, who cultivate a third of Zimbabwe's arable land, including its productive commercial farms, have been ordered by Mugabe to stop working immediately and to vacate their farms by Aug. 8. If they comply -- which, under Mugabe's order, they must do or be imprisoned for two years -- they will be leaving a winter wheat crop in the fields to rot.<p>At best, half of Zimbabwe's 12.5 million people will need food assistance this year. Should Mugabe proceed with his plan, that number could grow much larger.<p>The irony is that Zimbabwe once produced enough food to feed its own people and those of several neighboring nations. Had Mugabe allowed a land restoration plan devised by the British Commonwealth to proceed, the country's farms would be acquired from white farmers for a fair price and distributed to black Zimbabweans, without disrupting productivity.<p>The plan might have been left on course had it not been for the startling parliamentary election in 2000, four years into Mugabe's previous six-year presidential term. For the first time since his country's independence from Great Britain in 1980, Mugabe faced credible opposition.<p>The Movement for Democratic Change, headed by Morgan Tsvangirai, won 57 Parliament seats, compared to 62 from Mugabe's party. The previous Parliament had only three opposition members. Furthermore, Tsvangirai vowed he would oppose Mugabe in the next presidential election.<p>Mugabe made sure the MDC would have no real power by naming 30 more members to the Parliament. But the opposition surge was not to be taken lightly. Shortly after the parliamentary election, Mugabe announced his "fast track" land redistribution plan. Three thousand white-owned farms would be given to 500,000 landless black families.<p>As 2002 approached, Mugabe set out in earnest to steal the presidential election through intimidation, slander and other treacheries. Still, challenger Tsvangirai polled 42 percent of the votes in March.<p>Mugabe would leave Zimbabwe in ruins in order to stay in power. If farming operations are halted, in addition to food shortages, 250,000 farm workers will lose their jobs.<p>After the stolen election in March, in a misguided show of African unity several neighboring nations, including South Africa, offered Mugabe congratulations and praise for his victory. It is important that they retract their words.<p>South Africa President Thabo Mbeki's influence could go far towards convincing Zimbabwe's 78-year-old president of 22 years that the farmland transfer scheme must be halted. On the heels of that success, leaders of Africa's democracies -- with the support of the United States, the nations of the British Commonwealth, and the European Union -- should make Mugabe understand that it is time to give up his power in exchange for a "golden parachute."<p>The plight of Africa's hungry people must not be ignored. Last week's summit in Canada, attended by eight industrialized democracies and the leaders of several progressive African nations, set the stage for an ultimatum, to be delivered to Mugabe by his friends. The United States should press the issue immediately, before the Zimbabwean people pay a very high price for their president's addiction to power.<br> <br> <br>

#12214 - 07/09/02 10:42 PM Re: NEPAD G8 Conferance
Potshoza Offline
Nduna

Loc: Leamington Spa
I would not be the first one to complain about your typing errors Bhekuzulu and I think you need to revise your posts before submitting because I don't think I understand what you are saying in your first sentence..........

#12215 - 07/09/02 01:21 PM Re: NEPAD G8 Conferance
Msilawobe Offline
Ngqwele

Loc: Zimbabwe
The reasons singled out for the would be failure of NEPAD by many, remain unconvincing, picked out of context and exegerated out of focus at least to me!<p>NEPAD seems to be focusing on what Africans can do for themselves not what Western Countries can do for Africa in order for development to take root in our motherland!<p>This is a good start. There is a focus on the observation of democratic ideals and principles as a foundation for development to take place.<p>The only people who will make sure and who are working hard to make NEPAD fail are the likes of Gaddafi and the likes of Mugabe and the critics who have relentlesly presented NEPAD as a bad idea without offering concrete solution themselves!<p>I congradulate Thabo Mbeki for coming up with this idea. The idea will fail not becoz it is a bad idea but becoz the club of African dictactors are already shooting it down.<p>Emphasizing good governance and the upholding of the human rights in the continent as some of the major prerequisites for economic development is not a bad idea at all!<p>

#12216 - 07/09/02 02:40 PM Re: NEPAD G8 Conferance
Sikhulu

NEPAD will fauil not because it is a good or bad idea but because it refuses to address the real issues of why Africa is poor. Africa is poor because these are artificial states and nations. They where created for the white man but blacks have said and agreed that the white man did a good job for them and accepted these states. Hence we have had Biafra's Eritrea's Genocide in Rwanda, Genocide in Zimbabwe, Civil war in Chad, Ethnic violence in Kenya, Xhosa's geting the best picks in South Africa. When that is addresses, maybe, maybe then NEPAD can work. Until then it is a dream of those who deny reality, those who seek to say A is B, when A can only be A. C can not be G and at the same time C. A Ndebele can not be a Ndebele and at the same time Shona. That is contradicting all sense of logic. Which of course these people do not have. One can not be an Ibo and a Hausa at the same time . That is what people like Mbeki are trying to solidify. They are trying to fullfil the whitemans wish that all blacks are the same, hence identity less except for that that is created by the whiteman. Hence we have christmas as a holiday, but any African holiday partaining to that culture will be viewed as tribalism, but Easter is not viewed as wrong by an identiless people. China, Japan, Indonesia, there is no Easter, it belongs to Europeans. Inxwala is it there in Europe. Check your facts, that is why NEPAD will fail. Good idea, bad idea, it is just an excersize of going threw the motions.<p>Cde Potshoza, in the first sentance I am saying he must not say he has not done his work.

#12217 - 07/09/02 03:08 PM Re: NEPAD G8 Conferance
Potshoza Offline
Nduna

Loc: Leamington Spa
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Outgoing OAU chairman, Levy Mwanawasa defended the decision not to invite Madagascar's leader, Marc Ravalomanana, <p>After a seven month power struggle, he has been recognised as head of state by the US, France, Germany and other western nations. <br> <br>"The decision ... is a matter of principle and is a reaffirmation of our commitment to the ideals of governance that we, as the OAU, have made," said Mr Mwanawasa. <p>He pointed to recent elections in Sierra Leone, Mali, Lesotho and even Robert Mugabe's controversial re-election in Zimbabwe as success stories. <p>Such statements have revived criticisms in some quarters that the organisation remains little more than an old dictators club.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p> The AU has set off on a footing of double standards. Or should I say their ideals of governance appear to be different from those of the West. If that's is the case then the future is bleak for Nepad. <p>Also there is a lot of emphasis on trade. Are we to anticipate any changes from the west in the way they trade with Africa. We know they will deal with dictators by night!

#12218 - 07/09/02 03:35 PM Re: NEPAD G8 Conferance
Msilawobe Offline
Ngqwele

I for one do not believe that the ideals of NEPAD(as I have understood them)are peripherary to the solving of the equation of poverty in Africa. The reality is that the NEPAD ideals are central to the solving of the root causes of poverty in Africa.<p>Bad governance in the form of dictactorships and tribal wars have driven Africa down the slippery slope of poverty. The physical geographical explanations espoused and expanded in this situation do not solve the equation.<p>We as Africans need to live with the fact that those bounderies are now existent and accept and appreciate the concept of difference within those colonialist defined geographical areas. A MuShona person has to accept that I am a Ndebele existing in Zimbabwe with the full rights that I deserve and not treat me as a second class citizen. A Mushona person has to accept that I am different from him and that I have the full rights to exercise my rights to govern myself the way I see fit and be able to practice my culture without any impediment. A Mushona person has to accept that I have to exploit resources within my geographical sphere of influence for the betterment of my peoples without him being an impediment to this. That will be democracy! If any leader can appreciate that, then it will be good governance not bad governance!<p>They should not abuse me and exploit me just becoz I am a Ndebele and seek to always paralyse my independent spirit of governing myself!<p>In the same manner,a Ndebele should do like wise. But there should also exist a spirit of co-existence in that we can trade together and uplift the lives of our peoples!<p>They should not view governing as their birth right, but that we can also govern ourselves!<p>That is what I view as good governance and being democratic!<p>They should not kill me and my people becoz we differ on opinions and becoz I am Ndebele and do think differently from them.<p>To me Bheki NEPAD seems to be an advocate of this and that is what I view as democracy!<p>We as Africans seem to enjoy being pessimistic about anything that we try to do. When the African Union was formed we got the same pessimistic views!<p>But I have observed that the AU ideals are very much the NEPAD ideals, to the extent that states have committed themselves to intervene in a country where human rights abuses are taking place. <p>When those that decide to commit genocide do so in their own countries, they will be confronted with the intervention of the AU.<p>To me this is not a bad idea at all. If these guys commit themselves in resources then this should happen.<p>If allowed to govern ourselves in the true spirit of democracy, then it would not be difficult for us to celebrate Inxwala. We can not blame the whites for not celebrating Inxwala. We have ourselves to blame! We have to attack day in and day out this twisted sense that all our problems are due to a white men.<p>I do not understand how a whitemen is preventing us from celebrating Inxwala. It is a blackman who is making it difficult for us to appreciate our culture by being dictactorial and telling us what to do!<p>I might be wrong but this is how I see it!<p>

#12219 - 07/09/02 04:52 PM Re: NEPAD G8 Conferance
Sikhulu

DEmocracy is majority rules. As long as you fool yourself and call yourself both A and B at the same time, you as a Ndebele will get nowhere, Shona's do not have to accept anything just as you do not. Trade, trade happans between to seperate countries, Zimbabwe is a creation of Rhodes, NEPAD does not in any way seek to correct that. Just as Nigeria, Uganda are creations of LUggard. NEPADF is just a repackaging of the old philosophy of Nkrumah, Garvey, Amin,MUgabe that is all. There is nothing to respect within it. Only when logic is used will Africa get anyway. You can not force a union, no matter how much day dreaming. A is A, then problems are easily fixed. A car can not be a car and a bus at the same time, worse a train at the same time. You can not belong to two nations. It is either you are a Ndebele or you are a ZImbabwean. Which are you? that is what you must ask yourself, what are you? You can not be an English and a Polish at the same time. NEPAD does not seek in anyway to address fundamental issues of why Africa is poor and in disgrace. There are no guidelines for doing anything in Africa. It is a mess, Address the core issues. NEPAD does not, because the implications of the core issues are to huge. Ndebele or Zimbabwean, you can not be both. Not in your heart, not in reality. NEPAD is nonsense

#12220 - 07/09/02 05:04 PM Re: NEPAD G8 Conferance
Msilawobe Offline
Ngqwele

And one would observe that this Zambian Mwanamase(whatever his name is) declared his support for Gaddafi. Therefore his unintelligent ideas that he put forward can only be understood in context of his political leanings. He is a Gaddafi imposter in the making!<p>One who supports a dictactor is a dictactor. Such individuals' views can not represent the true spirit of NEPAD. He is there to facilitate the disintegration of NEPAD! Mugabe and Gaddafi do not want to see NEPAD a success. They are there to make every effort to see fail. They have some idiots following their evil and dictactorship ways!<p>This guy is Gaddafi's robbot as well as Mugabe's. We are well informed that ZPF played a significant role in his election as a President of Zambia.<p>This is a Zambian Mugabe or Lybian Gaddafi in the making.<p>NEPAD can not be judged on the statements of this misguided fellow who is still trying to root himself in the Zambian Presidency and who is still a stooge of Mugabe and Gaddafi!<p>He has no independence of thought! He is part and parcel of the club of dictactors!<p>He is a cheat anywhere and what can we expect from him!<p>I have to differ with you there my fellow tribesmen!

#12221 - 07/09/02 05:43 PM Re: NEPAD G8 Conferance
Msilawobe Offline
Ngqwele

Bheki my brother I am a true Ndebele and I am very much equiped in my mother tongue and culture and I am proud of it. NgiliNdebele okweqiniso. I for one believe that Ndebeles can have a state of their own, infact should be allowed to have a state of their own and govern themselves and not be the always governed by others. However such a state should exist in a federal type of government, where powers are devolved to states to deal with their problems as they see fit. We are the only ones to identify our own needs of development and we are the only ones to prioritise our needs, not a foreign person. With good governance, we can be allowed to take care of our fate and destiny. That is what democracy is all about, to allow people to be in charge of their own destiny and govern themselves! To allow people to be in charge of their resources and culture and not be dictacted to by an external foreign force within Africa or outside Africa. No! No! No!<p>I believe these are ideals of NEPAD of good governance and the observance of human rights! Ndebeles have the right to have their own Radio Station to focus on their culture and promote it. But who gives or disallows the permit for that! It is ZPF, a Shona dominated party that practices Shona Hegemony!<p>If they can not allow us to have a radio of our own how can they allow us to celebrate the Inxwala or the Mzilikazi Day/Lobengula Day or the Joshua Mqabuko Day?<p>These are fundamental questions I put forward to you to quiz your intellectual pool of reasoning!<p>Is it the whitemen who is denying us the licence to have a Radio station so we can tune on to the very needs of our community?<p>No! No! No! No!<p>It is another blackman, who wants to see us not develop. This is bad governance and not the upholding of our human rights by the other tribal party!<br>

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Jakalas 
Shout Box

Advert