Inkundla3
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38568 - 06/13/08 01:53 PM Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
lvovo Offline
Ngqwele

Loc: KZN
Ngithanda ukuqala ngokuxolisa kubanikazi besigungu lesi ukuthi am taking taking this opportunity to talk about another website.

Xolani bafethu:

I was just browsing the net and realised that our heroes are not there ku interent lapha. Bengicela those with ulwazi to just update Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia with information about our heros. If you check for all zpf thugs, you find something on them.

Njengomthwakazi why not update that site nge information about anything okwesintwini so that we will not lose the information. Kakwaziwa mhlawumbe uzakufa kusasa before you share the infor so just put it on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and that will be preserved.

It was soo disheartening for me not to get anything on Sydney Malunga, J Z Moyo and most of the ZAPU leadership.

Bantu lets try our best.

Remember Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is now widely used as a search engine and its free to update and edit

Ngiyabonga

#38637 - 06/17/08 02:10 PM Re: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [Re: lvovo]
vunguza Offline
Ngqwele

Loc: emaguswini
i do not hold i-Wikipedia leyo in high regard, so mina kakungithinti ukuthi there isn't such information lapho. in fact, I feel better ngokuzwa ukuthi amaqhawe ethu kawakho lapho. there is hope yet for our History to be properly represented

#38642 - 06/18/08 05:36 AM Re: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [Re: vunguza]
lvovo Offline
Ngqwele

Loc: KZN
vunguza

Ngibongile mnumzane, ukuthi if you are searching for something looks like Wikipedia is the first referal point and the other problem enze ngaze ngaloba something on this wikipedia ukuthi people with ulwazi lwe mbali yethu abanye sebekhulile njalo, bengamane bitshiye singelalo ulwazi lolu esilufisayo. Bengibona kusengathi njengoba izanu yachitha lonke ulwazi esasilalo olwakithi, kungabanjani ma singathola indawo yokulondolozela imbali yethu.

There might be some short falls with i Wiki but if we use it to good use it might be of some help.

Ngibongile mnumzane Vunguza ngombono wakho, am happy that it was constructive in a way...

#38647 - 06/18/08 09:22 AM Re: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [Re: lvovo]
Mbulawa Offline
Ngqwele

Loc: Joburg, SA
I'd also like to throw my weight behind Wikipedia. It's the easiest way to put forward knowledge that you have of a certain subject.

I agree that due to the fact that content comes from the public, some of it may not be credible. I also agree that some people do not "hold it in high regard" but it's just the minority. I say this based on number of hits the site has. You should also notice that Wikipedia pages rank highly on popular search engines. If you create a page on say Sydney Malunga today, you can be sure that it'll appear on the first page in google search results within a day.

Why is this important? Seekers of information use search engines. A dedicated site say on Zapu will take ages to appear on google search results while Wikipedia is already ranked highly.

Secondly, if you create a dedicated website, you can increase it's ranking by linking to it from within an article on Wikipedia.

Thirdly, Wikipedia allows information to be verified by others and articles to be written collaboratively. If for instance I know just one piece of information on Solomon Skuza, it's easy to go to his Wikipedia page and add on to the existing info. It's easy for others to discuss alterations and changes are tracked.

Wikipedia is free and anyone can create and edit pages - even without creating an account!

I therefore applaud any and all efforts to put information that the general public should know on Wikipedia. Those who have used it and other wikis for a while will confirm that wikis are very successful and effective and has been evidenced by the popularity of Wikipedia.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Moderator:  Jakalas 
Shout Box

Advert